Sault Ste. Marie is a city of 80,000 people, three hours from Sudbury, and eight hours from Thunder Bay. In other words, we’re surrounded by a lot of trees. And yes, it does snow here. Without fail, winter comes every year, but that’s fine because everything that’s good about winter is very accessible here.
In less than an hour you can be boarding down wide-open slopes, stepping out on snowshoe trails or snowmobiling for days and never see the same tree twice.
In the summer it gets hot, but without all the humidity of Southern Ontario. In fact, each season in this part of the country is intense, and there’s always something to do. If you like camping, fishing, hiking or any outdoor activity, then you’ll love the Sault.
Now, just in case you think we’re sounding a little too remote, we get the same concerts, events, and festivals that you’ll find in most places in Ontario. And we love our sports too. Just ask any Soo Greyhounds fan. By the way, did you know that Gretzky played for the Soo Greyhounds?
Sault Ste. Marie also has the cost of living beat, and you can usually get to work from anywhere in the city in under 20 minutes (including the elevator ride). For the cost of renting an apartment in Toronto, you can buy a house here, and a nice one at that.
It’s not for everyone, but we love it here. You can even check out some of the work we’ve done that features the best of life in Northern Ontario and Sault Ste. Marie.
The Graphic Designer participates on creative projects from concept development through to designs for print and web-based projects, including design extensions. They work closely with the client strategy team and the Creative Director to deliver creative projects to clients. They are often responsible for presenting creative & designs accompanied by rationale and implementing recommendations. The Graphic Designer works efficiently on multiple projects to meet tight deadlines by implementing quick revisions to match client's or the Art Director's requests.
- Interpret client’s needs as outlined in creative briefs and translate them into compelling designs
- Produce best-in-class designs and creative output while taking into account print and web technical guidelines
- Contribute to the design using techniques based on theories and concepts related to creating visual flow
- Troubleshoot issues with printers
- Combine design theory, and take into consideration content, navigational structure and usability issues to create a powerful and integrated experience
- Prepare files and projects in pre-press ready formats
- Design work that demonstrates an understanding of client’s needs
- Work with clients and other designers to explain design concepts and manage design feedback
- Work within project schedules and within deadlines
- Collaborate with Art Director to ensure designs are consistent with client expectations and overall project goals
Required Skills and Experience:
- A portfolio of your design work that demonstrates creative flair
- College diploma and/or equivalent experience
- Adept at relevant design software particularly Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Experience applying theories related to color schemes, use of space, text placement, usability and visual flow
- Understands the commercial application of artistic concepts
- Understands and is able to create content specification and design guidelines
- Strong communication and problem solving skills and the ability to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment required
- Able to focus while under pressure