Sault Ste. Marie is a city of 80,000 people, three hours from Sudbury, and eight hours from Thunder Bay. In other words, we’re surrounded by a lot of trees. And yes, it does snow here. Without fail, winter comes every year, but that’s fine because everything that’s good about winter is very accessible here.
In less than an hour you can be boarding down wide-open slopes, stepping out on snowshoe trails or snowmobiling for days and never see the same tree twice.
In the summer it gets hot, but without all the humidity of Southern Ontario. In fact, each season in this part of the country is intense, and there’s always something to do. If you like camping, fishing, hiking or any outdoor activity, then you’ll love the Sault.
Now, just in case you think we’re sounding a little too remote, we get the same concerts, events, and festivals that you’ll find in most places in Ontario. And we love our sports too. Just ask any Soo Greyhounds fan. By the way, did you know that Gretzky played for the Soo Greyhounds?
Sault Ste. Marie also has the cost of living beat, and you can usually get to work from anywhere in the city in under 20 minutes (including the elevator ride). For the cost of renting an apartment in Toronto, you can buy a house here, and a nice one at that.
It’s not for everyone, but we love it here. You can even check out some of the work we’ve done that features the best of life in Northern Ontario and Sault Ste. Marie.
Senior Production Designer
The Senior Production Designer creates the art for web, print, and other media that inspire our clients and their audiences. They see a design through from comps, through pre-press, and forward to print. A fine attention to detail is essential as they plan and implement complex graphic design projects related to marketing collateral, review design drafts, proofs production-ready art, and ensure adherence to proper pagination and color assignment. The Senior Production Designer works with a fair degree of independence interpreting our client’s needs as outlined in creative briefs and by the Art Director.
Using Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and other graphic design software, they mix science and art together on behalf of our clients. The Senior Production Designer’s work demonstrates an understanding of client’s needs and on occasion they also work directly with clients and other designers to explain design concepts and manage design feedback. They work within project schedules and within deadlines to ensure our designs are consistent with client expectations and overall project goals.
- Interpret client’s needs as outlined in creative briefs and translate them into compelling visual designs
- Contribute to the design using techniques based on theories and concepts related to creating visual flow
- Design graphics using Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
- Combine design theory, and take into consideration content, navigational structure and usability issues to create a powerful and integrated experience
- Design interfaces that demonstrate an understanding of client’s needs
- Work with clients and other designers to explain design concepts and manage design feedback
- Mentor junior production artists
- Work within project schedules and within deadlines
- Collaborate with Art Director to ensure designs are consistent with client expectations and overall project goals
Required Skills and Experience:
- A portfolio of your design work that demonstrates creative flair
- College diploma and/or equivalent experience
- Adept at relevant design software particularly Photoshop and InDesign
- Experience applying theories related to color schemes, use of space, text placement, usability and visual flow
- Understands and is able to create content specification and design guidelines
- Strong communication and problem solving skills and the ability to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment required
- Able to focus while under pressure