Sault Ste. Marie is a city of 80,000 people, three hours from Sudbury, and eight hours from Thunder Bay. In other words, we’re surrounded by a lot of trees. And yes, it does snow here. Without fail, winter comes every year, but that’s fine because everything that’s good about winter is very accessible here.
In less than an hour you can be boarding down wide-open slopes, stepping out on snowshoe trails or snowmobiling for days and never see the same tree twice.
In the summer it gets hot, but without all the humidity of Southern Ontario. In fact, each season in this part of the country is intense, and there’s always something to do. If you like camping, fishing, hiking or any outdoor activity, then you’ll love the Sault.
Now, just in case you think we’re sounding a little too remote, we get the same concerts, events, and festivals that you’ll find in most places in Ontario. And we love our sports too. Just ask any Soo Greyhounds fan. By the way, did you know that Gretzky played for the Soo Greyhounds?
Sault Ste. Marie also has the cost of living beat, and you can usually get to work from anywhere in the city in under 20 minutes (including the elevator ride). For the cost of renting an apartment in Toronto, you can buy a house here, and a nice one at that.
It’s not for everyone, but we love it here. You can even check out some of the work we’ve done that features the best of life in Northern Ontario and Sault Ste. Marie.
Associate Art Director
The Associate Art Director has outstanding artistic abilities and an expert understanding of the role art and design play in the world of marketing and communications. In addition to being a master of graphic design concepts and software, they help lead the designers on individual projects, working closely with the Art Director, Creative Director and Client Strategists. The Associate Art Director helps determine the look and feel of a project, communicating high-level concepts to the designers and ensuring adherence to these concepts throughout the design process. The Associate Art Director is also responsible for ensuring that all work is in line with the time and budget constraints of a project. They create the conceptual framework for projects and translate the conceptual theory to art, colour, and type-based selection.
The Associate Art Director mentors the designers, ensuring creative concepts are carried through all aspects of the project and the end product meets production and client requirements. They create and design the concepts for style guides, help pitch creative concepts to internal teams and clients and clearly communicate concepts from a historical, design, business, and competitive standpoint.
- Take the lead on projects, setting tone and direction
- Assist in articulation of design problems and solutions
- Help to continually improve Lucidia’s design processes
- Understand high-level artistic concepts and how to apply them commercially
- Champion user experience within the project team
- Keep Designers focused on objectives, working within deadlines and budgets
Required Skills and Experience:
- At least three years experience in a graphic design role
- University degree or college diploma in graphic design and/or equivalent experience
- Strong communication and coaching skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of production processes, technologies and design theory with regards to traditional and digital media
- Effective participant and facilitator of lateral thinking and brainstorming sessions
- Demonstrated passion for design, typography, communication systems & innovation